Monday, December 12, 2011

MUSIC AND A PORTABLE RADIO PHONOGRAPH




I grew up with music. I always remember so many memorable moments of my childhood and music was usually in it. I could listen to the music and sing along with the song at the age of 5. I couldn't keep my feet from beating every time I hear the music even when I'm laying down on my bed. I really appreciated going to sleep that way. It seemed like a lullaby to my ears. Haaahh! It was a wonderful time and those remembrances will always be in my heart. 



I was 9 years old when my grandfather bought a portable radio phonograph (radio phono). It looked like a thick suitcase, it is because of the design of the case. For those who are not familiar with a radio phonograph or 'radio phono'... well, it is a combination of a record player and a radio receiver. 


I really miss those days so much... Those days when I stayed in my grandparents' house for hours so that I could listen to the music that my grandfather and uncle played. Timi Yuro, Patti Page, Paul Anka, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka, Engelbert Humperdinck, Elvis Presley, Tom Jones and some others were they usually played in a long playing disc (plaka). Basically, their music was everything that I listened on a 'radio phono'; and added were the songs of 'The Beatles, The Commodores, The Jackson 5, Rod Stewart, Queen, Cat Stevens and Neil Young', which are my big brother’s favorites. And of course, I will never forget my another uncle who used to listen to the music of the Big Three Sullivans, Fred Panopio, Yoyoy Villame, Victor Wood, Eddie Peregrina, Florence Aguilar and Banda ng Musiko. I was thinking during that time that he is so 'baduy' as well as his favorite music. It sounded so funny but later on, I have come to realize that those songs were so great because they actually have contributed so much to the entertainment and to the Philippine music industry.



The best memories just keep returning in my mind especially when I heard the songs that once played on that portable radio phonograph. The 'radio phono' that helped me a lot to become familiar with a wide variety of music. I know almost all songs either tagalog or english; 'sosyal' or even 'baduy' music… From oldies but goodies songs up to the latest sounds such as the songs of Bruno Mars, Jessie J, Taylor Swift, Rihanna and some others. Time has been proven that I am a certified music lover. 



Haaay, it all seems like yesterday when that 'radio phono' just brought me such glee and fun. I keep on smiling every time it comes back to my mind. Good quality m
usic
gives me satisfaction... A happiness that comes from within.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment