Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Special Mom for a Special Child

Being a mother of an exceptional child is no joke. It’s really a big responsibility that God gave to parents especially mothers. I, as a mother of 13 year old exceptional child do extra things for him. I may consider myself (as self-reward) as special in my own way because my child is uniquely special. I’ve been so busy doing what is necessary to help my child and give my best and effort for his precious life.

I’m setting up my own interests aside to help with his homework, no matter what the hour. When he is feeling low and throwing tantrums, I always comfort him at the time when he felt ready to give up. I see to it that for him, I am not only his mother but his most important teacher also. Most of the time, I feel that I have to continually wage a war to go through simple activities of day-to-day living just like teaching my child even on how to brush his teeth properly and fix his things like books and bed. I might say that life becomes a continuous struggle, not only for the child, but also for a parent like me. I gave up my job and career to give my full time support to my child and handle the situation and most of all is to take care of him and defend him from his detractors. Raising a child with disability is a big challenge… But I have to face bravely my child's limitations and turning them into opportunities for his growth and maturity.

Here in the Philippines, many people have misconception about special child. They don’t understand that anyone who is not in the normal level of thinking would be considered as SPED. Not only the mentally retarded, autistic, ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), and the children with learning disability could be labeled as special child but also the gifted child because of his/her high extreme of mental ability and talents which obviously are not in the normal level.
Many times I have encountered different people with same reactions especially when they saw my child is smiling for no reason… I heard some comments, criticisms and insults on my son. And I thank God for giving me the courage to confront people who do not have my child's interests in mind. I even learned how to deal with awkward comparisons and criticisms from family and acquaintances who do not understand or value my child's differences… Masakit pero kailangang tanggapin, harapin at labanan ang lahat ng reactions o sasabihin at iisipin nila tungkol sa anak ko na marahil ay dahil sa kanilang kakulangan ng pang unawa, kakulangan ng kaalaman tungkol sa ‘exceptional child’ o maaring dala na lamang ng kakitiran ng kanilang pag iisip o maaari ding paninira na lamang sa kanilang kapwa dala ng labis na inggit o di kaya naman ay likas na katabilan na lamang ng kanilang mga dila. Ngunit sa aking palagay, talagang mahal kami ng Diyos dahil binigyan kami ng ganitong klase ng responsibilidad sa kabila ng aming financial na kalagayan dahil hindi naman kami mayaman. Siguro nga mapalad kami dahil kami ay espesyal sa paningin ng Ama kaya kami ay kanyang binigyan nang espesyal na anak…There are many hardships you can pass through in raising and guiding a special child. Bilang ina at guro ng iyong anak kelangan ng tibay ng dibdib at higit sa lahat patience and love upang maging magaan ang pag aaruga ng isang espasyal na bata.

Kunsabagay,
according to my child’s developmental pediatrician, his case is just mild but expect that there would be times that some characteristics of an ADHD with Autism will still manifest on him. As a parent, I might stick on guiding force for my child's education until she can manage it for himself. I will continue to help him through social experiences with support and understanding. As long as I am here, I will never stop encouraging my child to develop strengths and nurture his talents in things he enjoys. For me, knowing when to support and when to let my child meet his own challenges is very important. Being at peace with who my child is and not who others think he should be is what I always think of…As long as I and my husband are still alive, we will try to create a warm and supportive home which our child truly deserves.

• In case you are on my shoe? What you’ll gonna do?

 • If you have a special child like mine, how can you protect him/her from people who are giving criticisms or comments?  

  • Could you have enough courage to confront those who are secretly smiling or laughing at your child which apparently it doesn’t matter if they hurt you or what reactions you might have either?

No comments:

Post a Comment